Monday, September 26, 2005

Walk Like an Egyptian

Ay-oh-ay-oh Ay-oh-ay

German radio is really full of surprises. Awesome 80's surprises.

Finally had Econ again, and, sure enough, Germans do not, in fact, turn in essays. Even in a class of 9, they just have 2 or 3 people read theirs out loud, critique the essays (I so do not have the attention span to focus on someone's essay enough to identify the thesis afterwards, and English is my native language), and then move on. I'm bummed because. . . wait. . . stopped for lunch (pasta, so yummy). . . what was I talking about? SoWi paper! Mine was actually really good and had some cool ideas in it and everything. . . we're supposed to finesse our structure for Thursday, though, so maybe I'll read mine then. It's weird- in all my other classes, I don't want to talk because I'm afraid I'll sound dumb, and in SoWi I don't want to talk because I don't want to be some super-genius, when I really just have an unfair advantage of knowing English. Anyway, I learned how to order in a restaurant in Italian today, and we're discussing the Crusades in history in way more detail than I expected, so I need to do a little extra reading to catch up- at least I'm getting a better European perspective on European history like I wanted.

It's so windy today, which meant that I once again had to fight all the way home on my bike- at least it wasn't go the same direction as the terrible hill, so I got a pretty nice coast off of that, but there were still long stretches where I was going straight into this wind and where I hated myself for deciding to ride my bike to school today. However, 1 hour on bike, including half an hour of increased difficulty due to wind, means I've exercised today and can maybe recover from a junk-food filled weekend and feel less guilty about these piles of candies that I have received for being older. (You seriously do not want to know how much German chocolate is covering my desk at the moment. Seriously.)

Speaking of candy, I have an adorable pink dinosaur of the Brontosaurus type that is now living on my bike key keychain and it needs a name and maybe you need chocolate! Bill P and Mary R are not allowed to participate because they have already won other contests(also Mary: we need to get ourselves together soon because I owe you chocolate and you owe me a trip to H&M because I need to spend birthday money!)

Question: is James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" playing on the radio in the US? It is the song of the month, in case you've forgotten, and it is majorly popular and current here and I am curious if any of my New World readers are familiar with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about naming the dinosaur - Rosasaurus (isn't Rosa pink in Italian?) or Pinkie? Hey, I'm just trying to get some chocolate!!! I may have a chance since I don't see anybody else giving you any name suggestions.