Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Or a Bright Orange Pair of Pants

Billy Joel takes the song of the day trophy for 27 September with a song that you all know, and that actually gets played on American radio, too.

Today was one of those days when I decided that I would simply not sit still. . . so I got up at 6:30 and got myself all ready in a quiet house because Anna and Verena were starting school later today and Elke accidentally overslept. Hopped on the bike and made the half-hour trek to school (I have worked out that it is probably something like 2.5-3 miles) and went to history and tried really hard to understand the Crusades. Then I got back on my bike and rode home against the wind and hung out for an hour because I had free periods. At 11, back on the bike to go back to school for art, where I finished my painting (it ended up very orange, completely unintended, but definitely a subconcious thing because I'm in an orange mood today) and then another free period wherein, instead of being sensible and sitting on a bench to study Italian vocab, I got back on my bike and went exploring. Sure enough, nothing but farm fields in every direction. Made it back for Italian and pizza and in the middle of all this there were phone calls and text messages to Mary to try to work out meeting up in Köln, although all our plans eventually fell apart. Back on the bike after Italian for one last terribly hard ride home (I spent something like 2 and a half hours on my bike today) against the strongest wind I have ever known and then immediately to the bus stop to go to Wahn to get on a train and go to Köln. Went to a German mall, which the Germans find terribly exciting, and bought chocolate brown and pumpkin orange clothing at H&M. Did you know that H&M sorts their clothes by color family, so that you don't have to find a cute skirt and wander around trying to find a shirt that will match? This is because H&M's style is layer-based, meaning they keep all the mix-and-match layer items together. I like layers, so H&M remains my favorite store. Went in some others that seemed like poorly accomplished H&M ripoffs with bad taste in music, had a Bratwurst and some fries, got back on train and then on bus and made it home. After showing off new clothes to host family, I finally sat down and took my shoes off and relaxed with a glass of Fanta (blood orange Fanta).

I don't have to leave for school until 11 tomorrow. Jealous?

Don't forget to try to name my dinosaur!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously you don't like either name I picked out for your dinosaur since you're still trying to get other names!!!!! Don't I get a chocolate bar just for being the first one or maybe just for being your Mom????

Kari said...

I am being fair by allowing at least a week and making sure that everyone remembers.

And did I ever say that ONLY contest winners get chocolate?

Anonymous said...

ooh!! I want chocolate!!! hey, my classes for friday were cancelled.... maybe I could trek it over to Ukendorf??? that sounds like fun...and why won't you give your mother chocolate?

Anonymous said...

wiat, I get chocolate???? REALLY????? wow.... wish I had read that earlier....