Monday, September 19, 2005

I Hope You Don't Mind That I Put Down in Words

Mondays are nice because I get to sleep in until 8, but on brisk (this is me being optimistic about the cold) fall mornings getting out of bed is the last thing I want to do. Made it to the bus stop way too early anyway (never a good thing when it is cold) but my new Arcade Fire CD kept my ears warm with delicious sounds (everything that all those people have said about Funeral was right) and I have figured out that it takes me 6-7 minutes to walk to the bus stop when I am walking at normal pace on a cold morning. Of course my connection in Wahn decided to wait until the last minute to pull up, leaving me huddled under the bus shelter for a full 20 minutes (because Wahn is the start of this bus's route, it'll usually pull up 5-10 minutes early and let me and whoever else is there get on and wait until 9:15 to leave). I wasn't too angry when I felt how warm the bus was, though, and stayed on an extra stop (I have two options when going to school) to enjoy the warmth a little while longer, and also because the longer walk from the second stop uses up more time so I don't have to wait around too long before the Pause starts. I wandered through the gates just as my CD finished, only to see Borcaurd (this is among the most awesome German names ever) leaving on his bicycle, and he told me ever-so-kindly that we didn't have Econ today, just announced this morning. Econ is my 3rd and 4th period on Mondays, and it meant that I had 2 more free periods and could still, quite concievably, be at home in my warm, soft bed. Nina was already out braving the cold and we bought some hot chocolate and then other people started trickling out as their classes ended (should I mention that German teachers usually end class a few minutes before the bell, and you get to leave then instead of waiting?) and Katrin and Nadine were all happy about not having Econ, and I was simply glad that I could go to Nadine's house during this huge chunk of free time I'd been given. As the Pause ended, we headed off and it wasn't too long of a walk and walks are nice because they keep us warm. We watched Moulin Rouge, which is such a fun fun movie and means that Your Song is today's earworm (And you can tell everybody that this is your song, it may be quite simple but now that it's done, I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is now you're in the world). Walking back to school, the sun was starting to warm things up and I went to Italian and discovered that I know the numbers really well but it does not help to win Bingo if they never call the ones on your card. History bored me out of my mind- I know all the stuff that we're talking about, and in better detail, but the language isn't there to let me explain it all fancy and by the time I screw up my courage to raise my hand anyway the teacher is trying to pry an answer out of someone else or has given up and told us precisely what I was about to say. One of these days I am going to astound them with my understanding of Islam and its relation to the medieval Christian Kingdoms, once I figure out what all these historical figure's German names are and how to translate divine right of kings and the like.
I better wrap up because Verena wants me to use my knowledge of computers to install a game for her upstairs- cheers to wading through InstallWizard in German.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not complaining about the cold are you???

Kari said...

Just because I like cold doesn't mean I like getting oút of bed on cold mornings. There is a serious difference.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you explained that!!