Thursday, September 08, 2005

I think I almost understand Kant!

Even in German. . . when I'm not getting lost in his super long crazy German sentences. Literal translation of the sentence-paragraph that gave me such a headache yesterday (because headaches are more fun when you can share them):
"Power, riches, honor, even health and the general well-being and contentment with ones condition under the name of happiness inspire pride and through that often also presumption, where not a good will there is, that the influence of these on the mind and herewith also the whole principle of acting rectifies and completely suitable makes; not to mention, that a rational impartial spectator even at the sight of an unbroken prosperity of a being, that no trait of a pure and good will adorns, never a pleasure have can, and so the good will the indispensible condition even the worth happy to be to constitute seems."
Now consider that I had to look up every third word and you can imagine why I went and found a real translation of this thing so I could do my homework last night. (In the translation, the above turned into 3 sentences).

Went to a theater group last night and it was awesome- they read through the first 2 acts of their upcoming play (Tarzan Inclusive) and it was so so so funny and the people were so awesome and I was out until 10:30 so I'm rather sleepy today. I'm excited about this theater, thing, though. Too bad there's not a local church youth group. . .
School: philosophy for 2 periods, but it wasn't too bad because I think I actually get Kant (or I did until I looked at tonight's homework, but I'll be okay) and there was this really awesome picture that we're discussing and I'm going to have to show you guys sometime and we should talk about it because there are a lot of great concepts that we could come up with. Social studies then, and I've decided that econ wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, and I can get really excited about this class because it's in English so I can really participate. Art was fun, too- we discussed more theory today but I love sitting around and talking about paintings and the like, so it made me happy. 2 periods of Italian seemed awfully long, but I'm learning a new language! I still need to go pick up my Italian book, actually. . .
It's Verena's birthday today so there are something like 12 10 year olds coming over in 15 minutes, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Wish me luck, because Kant has already made my poor head ache. I swear I'm understanding him, though, and that's pretty fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a headache just reading your
translation.

Kari said...

It was supposed to, you know. I'm glad I succeeded.

Extra points to anyone who manages to understand what he's (Kant) actually talking about.