Friday, September 30, 2005

Heute ist unser Tag

Today's song of the day is a German song that none of you have ever heard before.

Went to school (on the bus so I was all early), waited around and waited around and, in a very familiar situation, absolutely no sign of my German class appeared. Kept waiting until I saw people I recognized and was fairly certain were in my class leaving school, so I left. Most productive day of school ever (this is very frustrating).

Got back on bus and used all that extra time in Niederkassel waiting for the next bus to find some chapstick and buy a snack at the bakery (chocolate filled crossaint, mmmmmm). And made it home by 11:30 and used all this wonderful extra time to start pulling together college applications (aren't I so on top of things?). Having printed out everyone's supplements, I'm trying to find out if I can do the interviews that certain schools want and if I have to fill out these silly "international applicant" forms.

And I'm also wandering around Hampshire's site because I love it, and here are some clues that I'm a future Hampshire student, according to current Hampsters (the ones that are way way too close to the truth)
*When given an assignment, you approach the teacher to ask if you can do it in a different, more creative way. (I have never turned in an essay on the assigned topic. . . my essay on Frankenstein was about Dada)
*You seem to create space for yourself – and yet often take refuge in your own solitude.
*You tend to turn mandatory assignments into a personal quest for TRUTH. (this annoys all of my teachers, because I can't simply do the assignment- I have to grow from it)
*You consistently find ways to incorporate your “non academic” interests into your academics. (see: Frankenstein and Dada, every other paper I've ever written)
*When asked for a book recommendation, you are able to rattle off the names of several recent reads.
*You want to make a difference. You want to change the world. Starting with yourself.
*You are willing to take risks – to make new friends, to get your voice heard, to do what you think needs to be done.
*You always carry a book, notebook, drawing pad, or laptop with you. Everywhere. Just in case. (when do I NOT have my sketchbook?)
*You make up new words. You get people to actually use these words. (Have you used pouvre yet? I'm not living in an English-speaking country, so I don't get this chance)
*You really seem to “get” that life is bigger than a GPA. Bigger than college even. This is all just a tool to learn how to live a good life. (This is why my GPA isn't so perfect and it doesn't bother me at all)

I am going to visit Mary today, and then I am going to play mandolin!

No comments: