Monday, September 05, 2005

Just Another Manic Monday

(and now you have the Bangles stuck in your head, too)

I just got back from wandering from house to house trick or treat style, except that instead of a bag full of candy I ended up with a bike that has no kickstand, except maybe I'll be going back later tonight and ditching the standless bike for one that has a kickstand but no gear shift. . . villages are great for hand-me-downs. We are wondering if I could also get a car in this fashion.

Weekends. . .
Saturday: had something like 35 people over for a cookout because we didn't going rowing. . . it was crazy and small children are just like the French and German cookouts are awesome because they just put this big circular grill over a campfire and throw a bunch of brats and pig steaks on and then there's potatoes and bread and awesome pasta salad and I think Dr Atkins is rolling in his grave. . . of course there's also dessert and that means really amazing homemade puddings and mousse and some sort of berry dish. . . and then there's just sitting around and talking and drinking while it gets dark, and then settling around the campfire and continuing to talk and drink and there were fireworks in the distance and I don't think I've been to a Labor Day party nearly as good in the States, and this wasn't even for Labor Day.
I slept in way too late on Sunday (I swear I didn't even drink that much) and somehow still managed to look really adorable and got in Hans-Josef's sister's boyfriend's convertible and went to HaJo's parents' house where there was amazing German cake (which is absolutely no relation to American cake and I love them both) and lots of Platt, which is a very confusing language, and (another) Kirmes and I went in a really old little castle thing that was all amazing and is still privately owned but we halfway know the people who live there and will maybe go back and get a better tour sometime. . . mostly I spent Sunday looking pretty and not understanding Platt and then came home and watched tv until too late but that's okay because I didn't have to get up until 8 this morning. And I managed to get all the way to school on the bus from Uckendorf even though there was traffic and I was so afraid I would miss my connection but I didn't. And I had my first Italian class and I can maybe count to 20 in Italian now, which makes I think 10 languages that I've ever learned numbers in and can maybe even still count with. And I get to practice my Italian in October because we're going to Italy during fall break- how cool is it that I start learning a language and get a chance to visit the country so quickly? I am also a little bit frustrated by the gap between hearing and understanding with my German classes- I totally could be contributing to history if I could understand what was going on and get my thoughts put together in German a little bit faster. Grrr. I don't even like Islamic history, either. Tomorrow I am probably riding my bike to school (once I figure out which bike is going to be mine) and then we are getting pizza in Italian because we are cool like that. I know you are very jealous.

Didn't make it to the post office today, but probably will tomorrow with the bicycle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was a good idea to tell your dad that you are going to Italy!! You know how jealous he's going to be!

Anonymous said...

That's it! I'm coming over and stowing away to Italy with you!

Kari said...

It's just the Alps of Northern Italy, not the bit that you've watched in your movies, so return that plane ticket.

And I think Germany's version of Islamic history is better- it was seriously one page from death of Mohammad to end of Abbasid power (you will remember that was something like 10 chapters in the AP book).