Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hilarious Differences Between the Countries

Mary and I went on an adventure to Bonn yesterday (including more fun with public transportation, also 5 year old twins) and had fun of the anecdotal, must-post-on-blog style.

German escalators include signs that say "ride at your own risk." I am still trying to figure out exactly what kind of person would be endangered by an escalator. In my experience, they involve simply standing still and waiting until you reach your destination, then getting off. Mary and I saw a little boy who couldn't stay in his seat on the bus, and we imagined that he would have trouble with escalators.

Mr. Music is probably my favorite non-H&M store now, and here are a few of the great cds we found there (but did not buy):
60 National Anthems- according to the list on the back of the cd, it actually includes 59.
Gregorian Chant versions of Elton John and ABBA's greatest hits
Mix CDs for such occasions as Morning Coffee, Riding the Bus, and Late Night Lounge
We also felt inadequetaly metal in the heavy metal basement, so we left it quickly.

We spent too much time and maybe too much money (but probably not) in H&M and I bought a skirt and socks and an umbrella and I think I want to just go buy all my own birthday presents at H&M because it is the best store ever.

We ate at Pizza Hut because it was there and we sat and talked forever and were mildly unsure about German cafe ettiquette (like why it takes the waiter almost an hour to bring your check after taking your plates) and Mary was adorable when she tried to ask the waiter why he was speaking English and it came out as "Warum sprichst du Englisch mit us?" and stumbly and so cute and I love Mary to death- I swear you will learn German soon, my friend!

We just barely missed the one bus to get back to Troisdorf and had to wait 20 minutes for the next so we went to the U-Bahn station and played on the rolling ramp things that are probably more dangerous than escalators but have less scary warning labels ("attention: danger of slipping"). We then got on our bus and got back to Troisdorf and I rode back to Niederkassel in the dark by myself and almost got lost but then I didn't and I was okay.

I bought postcards and there will be happy mail on its way sometime soon (next time I get to the post office).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you finally got an umbrella. Now I won't feel guilty about using the one I bought for you but forgot to give you before you left!

Anonymous said...

OMG THAT IS HILARIOUS! I AM SOO COPYING IT!!!