Saturday, November 05, 2005

I've Learned to Dream Without You

That's not really true. . . I still dream about you, you know. My dreams have been weird since I've been here. . . some of them telling me what I didn't want to know, but what I've since accepted, others telling me things that I still don't want to hear. And others are just plain silly, but they're rare. I've been having more dreams that make me wake up feeling tense and stressed lately. In any case, today's song of the day is Joana Zimmer's "I've Learned to Walk Alone," which is a very pretty song, and one that I like to sing, along with the current and past songs of the month.

So today started off kind of slow- slept in, nice slow breakfast, went to Segmüller, which is like Ikea but expensive and probably higher quality (except that I love Ikea) and it was super-crowded because they're having some sort of sale and it was full of Christmas stuff, which made me sad because it is not Thanksgiving yet and you aren't allowed to have all the Christmas stuff out this early, are you? Anyway, we bought a stand for the decanter (yes, for wine) and also looked at dishes and saw a lot that were cute but didn't buy any today. Then we came home and ate Lebkuchen and I worked on my applications (yes, I am so good. . . got the essay down to 517 words and I feel better about it- thanks to everyone who's helped me so far, and I'm still accepting anyone who wants to volunteer to read it) and then we had something like broccoli casserole for dinner that was very yummy (the Germans call it Auflauf) and then Martin and Ulla came over and they are some of my favorite people to talk to so we talked and talked for like 3 and a half hours and we had a bottle of good Champagne that led to a bottle of Prosecco and if I'd had less to drink I wouldn't be telling you this, or maybe I would. In any case, I am going to have a headache for church tomorrow, but I am going to church, because it has been far too long and I miss it and it is a real Methodist church and everything. Also they are having a lock-in on the 19th, and I am excited about that- it should be awesome, too, because lock-ins are really great.

It is late, though, and I should probably go to bed because church is at 9:30 tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are your dreams in German or English? And you must have forgetten that the stores here are also full of Christmas items.
Love, Dad

Kari said...

In my fantasy world, Christmas is largely ignored until after Thanksgiving. Do not destroy my fantasy world.

My dreams are in the same language I think in. . . today I managed to get three languages into one (5 word) sentence in my head without realizing it.

Anonymous said...

Remember, Thanksgiving isn't celebrated in Germany so I guess Christmas is their next big holiday!!!