Thursday, November 24, 2005

Insert Song Here

So it turns out I'm not switching schools because the school here is too overcrowded (rather like a certain other school I know), so I get the privelege of getting up super-early and riding the train and then walking half an hour to get to school. After walking 20 minutes to the train station from my house. I am telling myself that the exercise is good for me. I mean, I like my school, but a bus would be really nice.

I'm settling in here rather well and feeling pretty good, minus the lack of sleep (today, my classes started at 9:30. I got up at 6:45. Tomorrow, class starts at 7:45.)

So Germany's new cabinet is in place, and they are patting themselves on the back for having six women and a dude in a wheelchair. As an American, I giggle, because they still all look alike, and I know for a fact that there are People of Color in Germany.

No English today because we had a big class meeting consisting mainly of three administrators basically begging the smokers not to throw their cigarette butts on residential yards, the smokers having been moved to smoking in front of houses because the school is now a "smoke-free zone." It was actually very pitiful to see these three grown men standing up there saying things like "We don't want to restrict your right to smoke, but please just do it out of sight of the school." And then they halfway suggested that people maybe not smoke during the school day, but it was very weak and they pulled back from that idea.
Germany is crazy.

Then I had a free period and the discussion included these fun tidbits:
1: You know they found a case of beer in the K13 room once and they locked the whole class up until-
2: Until the case of beer was gone!
1: *laugh* No, until they found out who did it.

If I woke you up in the middle of the night and asked you if this was sugar or salt, what would you say?

A really, really long discussion about the Simpsons, because there is no Family Guy in this country.

And then we capped off the free period, proving that these are Germany's best and brightest, by discussing interesting ways to torture and kill lesser animals (insects, frogs, etc).

And then a period of history and it was time for another nice, long walk to the train, and I got there 20 minutes early because the train comes at a terrible time. And home for lunch and trying to make the video work: Christoph got the video from my camera to work in some form, but the audio is all out of sync. I've spent the afternoon messing with it, but we are now giving up, because it is just too much effort and we get about 10 seconds right, then it slides out of sync again, so we are going to just film again with Christoph's camera because his likes the computer.

The joys of video.

No comments: