Friday, November 11, 2005

Blame it All on My Roots

I know, I didn't post yesterday, but I was out late and I was tired.

Let me think back to school Thursday. . . no first or second period, so I slept in and it was wonderful and then I had Sozi, which is always fascinating and fun- there was also the random moment of Noiby trying very hard to say Great Britain, but it kept coming out "Gweat Bwitain," which makes me feel so much better about my inability to roll the r in easy German words like "drei." Then it was on to English, and I can't say I remember what we discussed in yesterday's English class- must not have been that interesting. And then I was done, because my History teacher was doing something else. So I hung out for another period (fifth period) and then Andy drove me home cause he was done, too. Crazy German school- one day of 8 classes, then a day of 2 classes. Anyway, I came home and made chocolate cupcakes all by myself because I am awesome and because Rosi wanted to take them to her Spanish class today. And last night we went to a concert at Western City, which is seriously a totally cliche little Old West fake town that is right down the street, and they had "Germany's Best Garth Brooks Impersonator" and it was really great and fun, although I am not allowed to admit that (hence yesterday's song of the day). And then I was too energized post-concert to sleep, meaning I am extra-tired today.

And I had to get up all early to take the bus because Rosi has Spanish on Fridays and can't drive me even though I didn't have history, and thus no first period. So I just chilled in the K12 room while I wanted to be in my bed, and then it was English class, where we are still talking about things that have to do with British farmers, so you can imagine it's not precisely interesting, but at least it's a chance to hear some English. Then Chemistry, where we burned various gases for reasons that I'm certain were very good, but mostly I spend Chemistry laughing at funny things that Tobi and Tobi and Chubie say. And then Bio, and my knowledge of how people end up with extra X or Y chromosomes and what that does to them is now larger, so that's always good. And math is still confusing, but I'll survive.

Went grocery shopping, Betreuer is stopping by tonight, which is awesome because it means that I still have a Betreuer!

Fun moments of the school day:
It is St Martin's Day, which is apparently a big holiday in Germany involving small children wandering the streets with laterns and singing. But it also means that Zimmy and Max came to school with the most awesome ties ever- Zimmy's depicting a glass of beer being filled from a keg, and Max's with a bottle of Absolut- this goes under the category of "only in Germany." At some point, they each made photocopies of their ties to hang on the wall, beside the giant giant Elizabethtown poster (Chubie works at the movie theater and keeps us hooked up with this sort of thing. This poster is so huge, though- I recall that when he brought it, someone commented that we shouldn't hang it up, but turn it into a comfy bed. I still think this might be a good idea.) Also there was the random St-Martin's-Day-related confetti that showed up in the Pause, and the Math teacher's reaction to Tinta's confetti-besprinkled head.
Chemistry is always good for fun moments, especially where fire is concerned. As Fray Collin prepared to light the gasoline (I promise that I am safe here), she realized that she had no lighter and for some reason did not want to use the matches in front of her (I'm sure this reason was also very scientific), so the conversation went something like this:
FC: Do any of you have a lighter? Any smokers?
Us: No. . .
FC: What? Not a single smoker? That's not usual, is it?
And then she went to find someone who did have a lighter.

I think I've made Germany look pretty bad with those two examples- I swear that there is not really much substance abuse going on. Really.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey... did you get stolen brötchen?^^Mary

Kari said...

Um, no. . . do people normally rob bakeries on SMD?

Anonymous said...

STOLLEN brötchen... like with sugar on it... loaves? it's super tasty alone, but also with butter or nutella.... I love sweets. I need to work on my spelling...^^Mary

Anonymous said...

you are smart Kari. and I love that you can articulate everything.