Friday, December 16, 2005

Don't Tell The Wind Not to Blow

It won't listen anyway. Guy on the radio says the storm of the century, or at least the year, is upon us. There are crews out covering the crazy winds. Having lived through multiple hurricanes, I don't find it all that exciting. Walking through the wind is really awesome when you are pretending that you are walking in a music video, the way the wind blows your scarf back and makes you feel all artistic. It is raining pretty hard right now. I am glad that I am inside and not outside, in the rain. I hope it lets up before dinner.

Josh Woodward is my new musical hero. He's a dude and he's got a guitar and he sings songs that are available for free on the internet. Beyond that, he has great lyrics like "I painted her from memory with flowers in her hair. I captured every freckle on this bumpy canvas square. But we all know what this picture is worth. But it's a thousand words she never heard 'cause I threw it away. It's a thousand words she never heard." (1000 Words) There's this folksy-bluesy-country vibe that I love and all the mellow but snarky of good indie. If you're equally interested (and you should be if you like things that are good to listen to), check out Josh Woodward's page on Songfight. His website has lots of other songs that I haven't checked out yet, but I am fairly certain they will also be awesome.

I swear I did go to school, too. English class has finally given up on British religion and switched to Religion in America, meaning I get to (if all goes as planned) spend lots of class time Monday trying to explain the complexities of church and church life and seperation church and state and all the other things that affect religion in the US. It should be lots of fun! Chemistry is still extra-extra boring. . . got my Bio Schulaufgabe back! I got a 10, which is a lot like an 89 in America, or what an 89 would be if it were basically impossible to get over a 95. I am super-proud of myself, and my teacher was all impressed. Got the Math Schulaufgabe back, and I actually managed to get 3 of the possible 38 points. This is pretty amazing, considering that I had no idea what I was doing and just sort of wrote some numbers down. The math teacher enjoyed my Nikolaus. We are reading poems now in German. Goethe is a pretty boring poet, and Schiller is, well, Schiller. My Bio teacher was like "you should major in German in college and be a Diplomat or Ambassador to Germany or something!" My exposure to Goethe and Schiller makes me certain that I will never major in German- I cannot possibly make myself read this stuff anymore than I have to. I tried really hard to find entertaining undertones in the poems, and there are none. This is not Shakespeare. This is not Chaucer. This is not even Hardy. It's still better than Fitzgerald, though. My new literary theory is to simply ignore all 18th century fiction in favor of political essays, which nicely gets rid of pretty much all boring literature. (We will of course make a special exception for Jonathan Swift, because he was before his time anyway.) Anyone who wants to argue with me, feel free. You will lose, crushed by the power of Bernard Shaw and the century that was 1850-1949 (here you also reach my conclusion that the centuries should be divided along the middle for better thematic grouping, but that is only vaguely related to complaints about classic literature). The other option is to pretend the Romantic movement never existed, which is also just fine by me (will probably irritate Germans, since it is pretty much their greatest cultural achievement according to people who are not me).

Tonight is Dinner with Phillip and Friends. Tomorrow is K12-K13 Party. Then I will probably miss most of Sunday because of sleeping. Blogs may be erratic (publishing schedule, as the content is always erratic).

2 comments:

Kari said...

Don't worry, Billy. When it is this cold, one is inclined to hold tightly to one's clothes.

Besides, this is why God made zippers.

KC said...

sam was feeling down today, so i brought her a kinderegg and brought one for me, and life was much better.

so this is me, thanking you, once again, for saving a life with german chocolate