Monday, December 26, 2005

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

You know what's awesome? Grabbing a screen and hooking the beamer up to the DVD player for Movie Night! We started off with last year's indie favorite Whale Rider, which, as it turns out, was a New Zealand-Germany co-production. Then, of course, we went on to Life of Brian because Monty Python is awesome.

It is snowing, as is tradition on the day after Christmas, just too late for Bing.

Reading old blogs is surreal. I'd thought that I changed so much in the last six months, but it just isn't true. Somehow, that's comforting, because it means I have a core that I haven't lost, simply refined. It means I have an identity.

Don't believe me? Try May on for size. The English is better (I wish the word dichotomy were still in my active vocabulary), but the ideas are the same. Some of them eerily so, but you'd only know that if you were actually in my head, which, fortunately, you aren't.

My mom sent me pictures of Christmas, and I discovered that the house I grew up in is now unfamiliar- the carpet, the curtains, the pictures on the wall seem like those of a neighbor, or a friend- things that are familiar, but aren't home. That's a weird feeling, knowing that the house you grew up in isn't home anymore. What's weirder is that, unlike in Garden State, I'm not stuck in this terrible nostalgia, either. I'm not happier than I was then, but I'm pretty damn happy. I'm associating new things with the words home and family, and they're good things.

1 comment:

KC said...

ironic. . . i'm watching garden state right now.