Wednesday, December 28, 2005

CD-Laufwerk Adventures

So I was going through iTunes Music Store this morning, trying to decide what to do with this Christmas money of mine, and mostly coming to the conclusion that there is way more awesome music in this world than I have money to buy. This had me a little bit down, and then I remembered that there are starving children to be depressed about, and I worried about the dying people in Africa for a while. Then I took a shower, and thought "you know, I've actually spent a good deal of money on awesome music already. Moreover, my dad has spent a lot of money on awesome music for me, even when he doesn't know that it is awesome. It is really a shame that I am not enjoying any of this music because my computer's CD drive is dead." So I started to come up with complex plans involving gmail's endless supply of storage space to try to get my music on my computer. Then, after lunch, I had a better idea. I would ask Philipp.

The conversation went something like this, except in German:
M: Philipp, my CD drive is dead. Do you know why?
P: No. It probably hates you. (pause) Piff, you and Basti don't really need a CD drive and a DVD drive down here, do you?
Piff: Yes we do.
Philipp: Um. . . hey! There is an old CD drive randomly sitting here! Does it work?
Piff: I don't know. . . probably.
Philipp: (calling out through the house) Basti, does this random old CD drive work?
B: Probably not! I think it burned but wouldn't read anymore!
Philipp: Didn't we have another one around somewhere?
Piff: Just use that one, it probably magically works again, you know how those things are.
Philipp: Yeah, you're probably right.

So we brought the new-old CD drive up and pulled my computer apart and moved some wires around, and, sure enough, it works! So Philipp has saved the day again and now I get to spend the rest of my Ferien importing my entire music collection into my computer. Yay! (There was a moment of fear when my computer got upset about importing ABBA, but I think I have made it better with Radiohead. I knew Lexi had a distinct musical taste, but I wasn't expecting it from my computer, too.)

Super Current iTunes Stats (me being a music nerd):
279 songs
First Song Alpha: 0x0000007b by Josh Woodward
Last Song Alpha: Zero to Phantom by Josh Woodward (I swear I have lots of other artists represented, really!)
Shortest Song: Hooker Pumps by Donut Disturb
Longest Song: Quay Cur by The Fiery Furnaces
First Album: A Traditional Christmas Carol Collection from the Sixteen
Last Album: Woman King by Iron and Wine
Random Song: Sad Life by Dirk Shanson
Search for:
-sex: 1 song (coffee, however, brings up 2)
-death: 1 song (dead brings up another)
-love: 3 songs
-you: 16 songs

In other news, it has been snowing pretty constantly for two or three days now. We have maybe 5 cm in the deepest drifts. Crazy snow.

No comments: