Saturday, March 18, 2006

My Poor Fingers

So Friday was St Patrick's Day, but the Germans don't know that. So little green. It confused me.

JUST FOR KACEY
I had a total Mr Cox flashback in English! My teacher kept saying things like "Meeting WHAT?" and "Attempts to do WHAT?" It was wonderful.

English also included the suggested future job of people who get drunk for those who are unhappy with their lives, and would like to drink away their sorrows, but are teetotalers. I'm sure it will be a growing field!

In my free period, Nadine and Eva and I got the pleasant surprise of getting to watch the chemistry LK go outside and blow things up. We were safely inside the K12 room, and that boom was very loud. It was funny!

Biology is still getting to close to chemistry, meaning I'm bored, but at least there are lots of colorful pictures to draw.

In German, we discussed how cinematically terrible the movie we watched was. It was nice. It reminded me a little bit of mass comm, except that no one there had any idea how to talk about movies.

Friday night, Piff decided that there was some band playing that he wanted to see, and that he didn't want to go alone, so I went along. The opener was some moany-style girl with a guitar whose voice made me think of the lady from Garbage being really mellow, and whose songs were sometimes just ok and sometimes more fun, but not really concert-stuff, because concerts need to be loud and danceable. Fortunately, the band we came to see was this, and we had a good time. Apparently, the lead singer's brother takes lessons at the same music school as Piff (does his drum lessons). We decided not to stay for the final band, becuase Piff had no clue who they were or what sort of music they make, and it was 11 and we had the guitar workshop in the morning.

So the guitar workshop meant getting up before 9 am on a Saturday and Piff packing his drums into the car and we headed off to church, where I bummed a guitar off somewhere and quickly determined that the guitar and the mandolin have very little in common. Fortunately, no one else was really sure what they were doing either, so I got someone to show me chords as we went along and I was not the worst (Piff has less of a clue what to do with a guitar than me, because he is a drummer). My fingers ache quite a bit because it has been 6 months, and I spent the whole day playing, but it was good fun and we are playing tomorrow, which means I can play one song on a guitar. I'm bummed that we couldn't pull Lord I Lift Your Name on High together, because it was so easy when I played it on mandolin, but, man, it is hard to do the G-C-D-C thing on a guitar. How do you guys manage this? Why do you play such a terribly difficult instrument. Also, I learned that the Germans call the B string an H. I was sitting there and the guy was all "You can just leave the H7 chord out because it is hard to play." and I was just sitting there thinking "I am pretty sure H is not a note. I bet it is really hard to play a note that does not exist." Crazy Germans. Also, Piff's drums are a lot louder when they're in the room with you, not three floors below you. He's all excited that he gets his very own solo as the postlude tomorrow, though, and we are pretty sure it will work to chase people out of church.

1 comment:

KC said...

so, i was with my friend molly when i read that part about mr. cox and she looked at me inquisitively when i started laughing, so, i got up and demonstrated the famous Mr. Cox, "WHAT?" to her.

nothing beats memories of Mr. Cox, nothing!
(ps, that made my sunday morning!)