Thursday, March 23, 2006

Feeding the Vultures

You guys are terrible, you know. All jumping on me when I miss an update.

So, uh, Pro Christ. It was one of those big Christian get-together arena things. Like Awakening but not for youth, if that tells you anything. Olympic stadium, big choir, preacher dude, disabled guy with a puppet, songs I didn't know. No singing along because I guess it is only Methodists who really like to all sing together? That's what Erhard told me anyway. Apparently the preacher dude was Germany's Billy Graham, and he talked about health, which mostly isn't my concern at the moment, but it was a good night for me, faith-wise. Sleep-wise, not so much, as I got home at about 10:45.

It was cold and rainy yesterday. I spent all day at school with soaked pants- they did not dry until it was time to go outside and walk back to the train station, 9 hours later. In Reli, we agreed that the Catholics are the best scapegoat for everything. Sorry, Catholics. I don't like that the German word Konkurrenz means competition, because I think the English word means the opposite? I'm not totally sure, and the internet is only giving me Spanish words no matter how I try to spell it. I'm getting tired of painting in art. Paint is not intuitive. It doesn't do anything that I want or expect it to do. Deustch quote of the day: Michi: "Herr Friedl, is that word that you wrote on the board Wienberg or Wienburg?" HF: "I don't care; it's in the book."

It was still cold today, but not as wet. They say it will get warm again tomorrow, but it is supposed to be very wet. Herr Lang is not as good at reading infographics as I am, and Jakob is also skilled like me, and pointed out Herr Lang's inaccuracies because I feel weird doing that here in Germany. Quote: Herr Lang: "When you say, 'Don't run in front of a car,' that's enough. That would keep my daughter very happy. She's 18. Months." I wrote the sentence "it doesn't take too long of reading and rereading for everything to sound funny" in my planner during English. That sentence came from my head. Clearly, my English skills remain in tip-top shape. My free period was spent listening to Andre and Strobel discuss their schedules for next year, and figure out which classes to take and which to ditch, and it was entertaining. I explained how much more awesome school is in America with our classes about movies and our ability to stop taking math and take science online. In history, Jakob started this nice conversation with "I know we're learning these things for general knowledge for our lives, but we're also learning for a test, so. . . " and later "somehow, I seem to learn too much for my life and not enough for the test." Germans have the word "Smithians," it seems. I like this word.

Is my life really so fascinating?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, absolutely - your life is so fascinating!!!!!

I sure hope I'm not considered one of the vultures!!!!