Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Oh, Today

Once upon a time, Tuesday was the day of the week I hated. The hard day.

No more. Thanks to this whole school-until-5 thing, Wednesday has come up to become the day that tries to kill me every week. It didn't help that I couldn't sleep last night because my feet were strangely frozen (I finally got up and put socks on, but I still didn't get a very restful night). . . getting out of bed was so hard, and getting out of the house was harder. I was later to the train than I ever am, and I drug so much walking from the train to school, absolutely freezing in the -5 (so GoogleWeather says) weather, unhelped by the fact that I could not move fast enough to keep warm. Fortunately, no first period, so I chilled (literally- it was even cold at school) until Reli, where our discussion of the Bible Creation story remains interesting (how on earth are we allowed to learn this as school?). Then came the Art Exam, all 4 periods of it. I blew the theory bit (1/3 of the grade) by having German issues, and also being really uncertain how I am supposed to write an analysis of a drawing in any language. But the practical part was fun- we had to do a study of a mushroom, then work out some sort of composition in which we change the mushroom in some way or another. The whole thing seemed very psychadellic, and I ended up doing a really giant mushroom on a cutting board. It was purple. I swear I did not eat the mushroom, just drew it. Then it was lunch Pause, and Bina interviewed me for the school paper (and took a super-cute picture), and I didn't have Döner and was a little bad sad. German and we read something that was actually kind of interesting for its Wildean overtones (yep) and no math (for the second time this week) and then English and we are doing translations and they are so hard and then I skipped Chemistry because I am so tired and I am not taking the Chemistry exam Friday anyway, so I figure it is easier to skip if I don't show up to Chemistry at all this week. (Before you point fingers at me, know that my Chem teacher has already said that I don't actually have to do anything to earn grades if I don't want to, so my skipping is ever-so-slightly justified. Better justified than when I always skipped Chemistry in 11th grade, at least.) Stopped at the bakery on the way to the train and thus missed the 4:40 train and had to wait for the 5:13, but I was glad of there being a 5:13 train, because normally they only come every hour. And I rode the bus home because it is so freezing outside. Google says -3, but it feels so much colder.

Also it was super-sunny? Nice for great, dramatic side-light in art, but not effective at keeping me warm! Cold winter sun, what is your problem? You make me think it is springtimey, but then it is colder than when you are gone! (Science tells me that humidity (thus, clouds) makes the air warmer. Science is such a jerk.)

Brrr. May I go to bed now?

3 comments:

Blair said...

Hey Kari!
My host mom actually just bought tickets for me and Priya. We're taking the train that leaves at 13:04 and gets there at 17:04 (change in Mannheim) and on the way back we're leaving at 13:54 and get to Augsburg at 17:50 with no changes.
Bonnie is also riding to Augsburg that morning and riding with us.
My host mom suggested making reservations for the ride back since it will be a Sunday and probably pretty crowded.
Talk to you later!
-Blair

KC said...

while you were freezing in germany, i think it hit high 70's if not higher here yesterday (as in houston where i've been since sunday and am leaving today)

i was like, miserably hot and am looking forward with more and more anticipation each day to my return to p-town!

Anonymous said...

hee hee I dont have to take the train.... hee hee