Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Do Do Do Do

In a better world, the title of this post would be that cool whistly theme from Rosenheim Cops.

So I slept in this morning and it was grand. It was snowing pretty majorly when I left the house, so of course the bus was late, and so I missed the train. Deciding that it was still important to go to the one period of school I could still make, I decided to spend my next hour in Hochzoll running some errands. First I went to the bank and got some money, then I hit up the Mini-Mal and Müller to buy so so so much chocolate. Why, you ask? Because I wanted to send it to my youth group in America, of course! So I took my bag full of chocolate and went to the post office, and said to the man "I want the biggest box you have." He went in the back and came out with a huge piece of yellow cardboard and said "Will this do?" I replied "I think so" and went off to the little table to unfold the cardboard and fold it into a box, which I filled with the chocolates. I grabbed one of those little forms that you have to fill out, and I scribbled a letter with instructions, and soon the box was all ready to be shipped to America. The Post Office Men were quite amused that I was sending such a large box of chocolate, but it is not the first time in my life, not at all. It was the largest box, though, because this one is for lots of people, not just one of them! And then I went and the train came and I got on it and I walked to school (in the snow) and hung out for a little while and then I went to Sozi, where I wrote the following notes in my planner: "we need to get some better government connections," "voting in this classis always so messed-up. . . I can't imagine that it works better in the whole country" and "'Hey! Look over there!' (Helicopter)"
So what does all that mean?
1. We are taking a field trip to some government office to listen to a presentation about one of eight pre-chosen themes, which we had to select today. I miss having the General Assembly Majority Whip for a teacher, which made trips more real and less like, you know, school.
2. We had to vote on the themes. We wrote the 8 on the board, talked briefly, then everyone got 2 votes (what? yes) and we ended up with 2 themes with a clear lead (11 and 10), one with 4, and the rest with one or two. So then we voted between the top 3, this time everyone getting just 1 vote. It turned out 10, 4, and 4, and because we needed a first and second choice theme, we voted for the second choice, where the theme that had originally gotten only 4 votes got 10, and the theme that had gotten 10 votes in the first option got 9. There were 20 of us in the room, and none of these numbers add up, and my chosen theme, the one that actually related to politics (cooperative federalism) (remember that this is a politics class), got beaten by telemedicine, which has something to do with a doctor giving instructions from far away. The top choice? College regulations or something. Better than the ones left behind, which were about things like historical preservation and promotion of culture.
3. Pretty much what it sounds like. We were about to start doing classwork (in the final ten minutes after the voting fiasco), and then Jakob suddenly points and yells "Hey! Look over there!" And, there was in fact a helicopter flying by outside. It was pretty funny.

So I walked to the train station in the snow and bought my tickets to Mid-Year (whoo!) and got on the train and rode to Hochzoll, where a bus sprayed me with dirty snow by being an idiot and driving through the pile of snow on the side of the road instead of the clear part of the road. It was just like a movie, except that I was still pretty cheerful.

Also, Tuesday is Rosenheim Cops day. Numb3rs doesn't seem to come on on Mondays anymore, so Rosenheim Cops is my new favorite show. I love it so dearly. I desperately wish to find someone else who watches it so religiously (besides my host mom) so we can discuss my Michi theory, which got thrown a terrible curveball today when he bought beauty products for the secretary lady. I am reworking it to make this instance fit, but I am somewhat upset that it happened at all. I mean, after Baking for Men and everything!

No comments: