Friday, October 21, 2005

Since the World's Been Turning

It's a Billy Joel kind of day. . . and I'm picking "We Didn't Start the Fire" because I can, and also because we have been starting some fires in our fireplace recently to keep warm- brrr it is cold here when the sun isn't out!

Umm. . . after dinner, we fought with my handy for a while, only to determine that it is dead beyond our ability of revival, so then we fought with Rosi's handy for a while to figure out how to put it on silent so I could take it to school without worry of it ringing during class (since I no longer trust myself to be able to turn phones off and back on successfully). There were multiple phone calls to Norbert, but we eventually figured it out all by ourselves while watching the Horse Whisperer (I had completely forgotten that it was Scarlett Johansson in that movie, back before any of us knew who she was). I didn't bother to stay up to watch the end, and I still did not get enough sleep- I am tired today. Had to wake up at 6:15, and Steffi came at 7:05 to walk with me to the bus stop. Successfully rode school bus to school and chilled in the K12 room with Steffi and others who also had first period free. Then came English, in which I spent the class explaining the concept of neighborhoods and suburban life and the like, hopefully in an accurate way (it is actually really hard to do). Then that wonderful thing the Germans call Pause, then a period of Bio (I totally remember the stuff we're discussing AND I understand it- yay Gregor Mendel!) and then Physics (no hope here) and then Pause (socialization is very good, especially when there are couches to sit on) and then Math (I switched to the basic class instead of Berni's LK, and I understood something like half of what we were doing- I have definitely figured out that I never learned this stuff in America, so they're a bit ahead of me (apparently the opposite of everyone else's math class experience), but it doesn't actually look hard, once I figure out what these formulas are that they're using and why they are using them. Then came German, in which everyone else took a test on something that I haven't read, and I read Dorian Gray, skipping most of chapter 11, which is 20 pages of Oscar Wilde showing off his knowledge of dubious Renaissance trivia. I'm into the last third of the book, though, when the chapters get short and full of excitement, and I've completely stopped using the dictionary- I may not know every word that I read, but I totally understand everything that's going on, and I'm still picking up on a lot of the symbolism and whatnot. Anyway, rode the bus home with Steffi and Rosi's still out- she had Spanish class this morning and some other errands to run, so I am home alone and was going to upload some pictures for you, but I can't find my USB cord, and the computer doesn't have a DVD drive. I am going to keep searching, but I don't know what I can promise you at the moment.

Addendum 4:58: still no USB cord luck, sorry guys. Rosi came home with cake and then Steffi popped by to invite me bowling this evening (yay!) and then Miria showed up shortly thereafter to see if I wanted to do something, and I promised her that we will get together on a night when I am not bowling, and then she hung out and talked with us for a while and Norbert arrived and it's all busy here now. And I'm going bowling! I am very excited- it will be oh-so-much fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm... where is your USB cord? if it weren't for me going to your house I would have no idea who your host parents are....:D

Anonymous said...

go see flight plan... it's really good.