Saturday, October 22, 2005

Hoy mi amor esta di luto

Today's song of the day, or maybe it's really the song of the year, is Juanes's "La Camisa Negra." My readers still living in America have of course never heard this song, but I promise that it is really awesome and everyone in Germany is grooving to it pretty much all day long. Google tells me that it is about a guy who has a black shirt, but I think there is probably a deeper meaning that requires actual knowledge of Spanish.

Last night was pretty sweet- after eating a very fast and very delicious dinner, I hurried down to the train station to catch the train to Augsburg, but then Steffi got off the train and told me that the others were running late, so we needed to wait a bit. Soon, Maria and Vronni and Tie showed up in Maria's car, and we decided to drive into Augsburg instead of waiting half an hour for the next train. Maria had no clue where we were going, so there was lots of back-seat navigating going on. We made it, and managed to park (and I discovered that German parking garages have a whole floor reserved for women) and stopped by Burger King to let the people who were not as lucky as me get a quick and less delicious dinner, then it was on to the bowling alley, which was in the top floor of some mall-ish building. Got shoes and lane and had fewer bowling adventures than Allyson did in Berlin (you will have to ask Allyson for that story, I cannot do it justice) but still had fun- I managed one strike in our three games of the evening, and nevertheless bowled about an 80 each game, as did everyone else (excluding Tie, who is a boy and thus managed to be halfway good at bowling- his first 2 games were a little over 100, then in the last game he kept getting all these strikes and spares and we decided to hate him). We also had mediocre bowling alley pizza. Back into the car for more adventures going home (Maria still didn't know where we were going) and we stopped by Maria's house to pick up Vronni's car and then Steffi, Vronni and I went to check out the Orange Club, which just opened 2 or 3 weeks ago in Aichach. It was a pretty decent club- good music, lots of people (although I knew none of them), also nice looking. . . we hung out there trying to talk over the loud music and mostly failing until about midnight, then Vronni drove Steffi and I home and I peeled off my clothes that reeked of smoke and slept long and comfortably. This morning, Rosi and Norbert and I went into Augsburg to shop and discovered that the center of the city has been turned into a slope for snowboarders today, even though it is warm enough that I only need a jacket when the wind blows. It was pretty awesome to see random snowboarders, though, and we chilled at a cafe and had Wurst and then picked up some cake for this afternoon and some bread for tomorrow (where else but Germany can you get a loaf of fresh-baked, still warm bread for 99 cents?) and now I am home again and sleepy but very happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You eat cake a lot!!!!!

Love You!

Anonymous said...

and is there snoW???

Kari said...

Mary, it is October. Why would there be snow? Have you been watching the weather at all? I've actually had less rain and more sun than you.