Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I Can Fall Asleep

Yes, I didn't post yesterday. No, nothing exciting happened, that is why there was nothing. Please relax. I am still alive and well.

Today, I woke up far far too early and Anna and I went to Niederkassel to get on a bus to go to Bonn from whence we took a bus to Morenhofen (40 minutes), where Anna's aunt lives, and it is her birthday today. Why did we ride the bus? Because buses are fun. Elke and Verena followed and were much later than us, but of course also left much later. And there were lots of Germans at the aunt's house and we were sociable and ate soup and I found the absolute sweetest cat- I bent down to pet it, and it immediately climbed right into my lap and insisted that I hold it and I really miss cats. Around 1:45, Elke and Anna and Verena went to the other grandma's house to do some sort of moving of kitchen things, from which they have still not returned. I had no interest in cleaning grandma's cabinents, so I tried to call Mary (who would not answer her cell phone, for which I am still offended) and got on a bus and went to Bonn. In Bonn, I picked a direction from the giant bus stop and started walking, completely unaware that I was going in the opposite direction of absolutely everything. I wandered into a college brochure being played out before my eyes, and it was beautiful and it turns out that college campuses are identical in America and Germany, except maybe in the language spoken. I almost joined up with a random tour group for nostalgia's sake, but then I didn't. And I kept wandering, looking for stores, still unaware that they were right back where I came from, and then I saw the Rhine and hurried down to walk beside it for a while because it is pretty. Then I wandered through residential streets of Bonn forever, and every single house is really pretty, but I got rather frustrated until I found a map and discovered that I was waaaaay far away from the center of the city where everything is. Of course, cities aren't easy to navigate, and it still took me a long time and a couple more maps (those things need to be more frequent) to finally find the shopping center, by which point I no longer wished to shop. I did find some dinner (pizza and a crepe, not exactly healthy but yummy) and then I found out that I had about 30 minutes until the bus back to Niederkassel, so I slid into some bookstore for a while (I really miss books- I simply cannot read real books in German, and there aren't any good books in English here- anyone who wants to make me the happiest person ever can send me some Bernard Shaw) and then stopped into Mr Music and wandered back to the bus stop, where the bus was early. Only a 10 minute layover in Niederkassel and I am home and sleepy and Köln is so so so much easier to navigate than Bonn, although Bonn has much prettier side streets.

I have been reminded that the name the dino contest needs to end, so the winner is, by default, my mom, with the name Rosasaurus.

Any creative people have ideas for my newest baby, the iShuffle (which makes riding the bus so much more fun)?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my phone off.... so I didn't know that you called. but it's on today!!! so sorry!! please don't hate me!

Anonymous said...

I found dr. pepper in belgium!!! i haven't drunk it yet... to scared that if I do, my bubble will burst..

Kari said...

I swear it is only better when you drink it- the stuff seriously tastes so so so much better than you remember, and your whole life becomes magical, at least until the bottle is empty.