Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I Don't Have a Song for Today

I mean, I could always just pick "Wake Me Up When September Ends," but I'd get kicked out of the indie club for picking Green Day, and I'm saving that one for a future month, one less close to September. November's song is also already picked out, and will remain a secret until then. So today I slack off and give you no song, mainly because the breakfast music selection provided no song, and I haven't had time for radio otherwise.

I watched way too much tv yesterday, which included the discovery of "Die Gerichts Medizinerin-" it is basically CSI based in Munich with the German Angela Lansbury, except that she is all full of sass and dialect (yay Bayrisch) and it's a pretty awesome show. No Numb3rs, but about as good as German tv can get.
Today: slept in-ish because I didn't have a first period, then went to school in the freezing cold (it was 0 when I got out of bed) and had Religion (Catholic, and a class I'll be dropping out of sheer boredom), Physics (sort of understood it, actually), History (actual German history- score!), then a double block of Art (one period of someone's presentation on Gustav Klimt, then a period of playing with chalk and light and shading). So that gets me through 6 periods, end of the day, right? No. It was, however, time for lunch, and Berni had some sort of meeting, so I went to some little German lunch counter thing with 3 of the guys (terrible taste in music, but boy cars smell good) and had a Schnitzel Sandwich. And then we went back to school to chill in our little K12 room with half the 12th grade (the whole class has 55 people, including me) until it was time for German- I love my German teacher, he is the funniest man with his thick accent and curly pageboy haircut and jovial manner. And Goethe is fascinating, no matter what my classmates say. Of course, then it was time for math, and I can confidently report that I still understand nothing. They start out with some totally normal parabola that I recognize, and then they start doing equations with more letters than numbers that are apparently just to find out perfectly ordinary things about said parabola, but I'm not certain because I have no clue what half the words these people say mean. I don't think I'll be staying in this math class. Then I dropped myself into the English LK (not that I have a schedule anyway, so I'm sort of making things up) and the English teacher is really nice, but they spent the class discussing their Senior Trip to be taken next year, the details of which are causing conflict, instead of doing English work. On to Biology, which is actually a nice class when not taught by Mrs Legard, the demonspawn that I had in America. The first half of class was still devoted to Senior Trip discussion, but then we focused on human gamede reproduction (how people make sperm and eggs), which I halfway remember (this is good) and which, fortunately, pretty much always uses the same Latin words for just about everything, so I can understand it without trouble.
Then it was 5, and school was finally over. I had 8 classes today, and was at school for about 9 hours (minus lunch break), but it didn't feel that long. There's a lot to be said for maintaining the 45 minute class- it is seriously much less draining than doing the same thing for an hour and a half. Not to mention the long, frequent breaks that Germans are accustomed to.
I like my new school a lot.
We are building a car port in the driveway to try to prevent freezing of the car in the morning. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Blair said...

welcome to bayern!!!! : )