Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I Want to Stand With You on a Mountain

Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply" wins the song of the day, beating out another song that, coincidentally, also used mountains as a metaphor or image or whatever.

So there was a gap in the blogs, and I'm sure you're all terrified that I fell into a German ditch, filled with strong Bavarian beer. This was not, however, the case. Instead, I was simply at another house, sleeping in another man's bed, drinking my morning tea from somebody else's cups.
I should go back to Sunday to explain this all, really. While I was still fast asleep in my own bed (I promise I will get up and go to church one of these weeks, really), Norbert and Rosi said goodbye to each other with an exuberant hug. Somehow, however, this hug triggered a strange cracking sound in Rosi's chest, which turned into an intense pain, so, sometime after I finished blogging on Sunday, after Miriam had come over, we sent Rosi to the doctor, and then we called Mike because we were bored. Talking to Mike is always fun, and we spoke English far too quickly for Miri, and we also tied up the phone line so Rosi couldn't call to say that her rib(s) was/were actually broken. She did manage to call the neighbor, however, who came over to let us know what was up, and we very quickly said goodbye to a mildly confused Mike and gathered things up to go to the hospital, where they decided it would be a good idea to keep Rosi for a few days. The hospital in Aichach is actually very terrible- the doctors and nurses aren't very friendly (even for Germans), but poor Rosi managed to survive there, although she is very happy to be home (I am also glad to have her back here). Of course, I didn't want to stay all by myself for however long the crazy hospital wanted to keep Rosi, so I went up to Miri's house, and her family is great and awesome (Miri's sister Michi is in my grade at school, so that made the whole getting to and from school thing easier, too) and I ate well and was made comfortable and happy and the cat even decided to like me. I'm glad to be back home, though, where things are quieter. And school is still school- no schedule, but that'll fall into place, and everyone is still really awesome- yesterday, I decided to take a free period instead of going to Berni's Religion class, and we (the other people with a free period and I) were bored, so we played musical chairs using someone's cell phone for music. This is pretty much proof that I have found the right school and the right group of people. I am also having a lot of fun in my English class, where the teacher, although teaching about America, knows nothing about America and can only make examples from England or from articles he read in the New York Times. I am being forced to explain a lot of things, and I hope I'm doing the country justice, not creating more of a problem. Otherwise, I am just chilling in most of my classes and trying very hard to understand what is going on- I think I understand the whole vector thing that they're doing in the math LK right now, but I still don't know what a vector is or why were are doing anything with them. If you know and want to tell me, I'd be most appreciative.

I promised you pictures, and I did get a few uploaded before things went crazy. I'll work on adding some more. . . in any case, all the pictures can be found at my Photobucket account (along with a lot of older, unrelated pictures). . . if you want an explanation of something specific, drop me a line in the usual ways and I'll try to clear things up for you. The pictures are basically in chronological order starting waaaay back in Tübingen, unless I go and take some more pictures and add them, which will ruin my chronology.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear that about her! which mike?

Anonymous said...

you have a forte. check out my site for details.

KC said...

oh kari! i'm so glad to hear that things are going well for you over there! i saw dailey when i managed to go home for fall break and i gave him the link to your blog 'cause if igured you'd like it if he read it, and i told him to leave comments. so let's home that one of these days, he does!

anyway, keep in touch! even if it's just through comments on each other's blogs!

K.C.

Kari said...

Mary:
How many Mikes do I know? I was referring to Mike Corliss, possibly the only Mike I can reach without having to pay for long-distance.
Travis:
Your vector explanation has nothing to do with what is going on in this math class, but I think I'm halfway understanding it anyway. Thanks for reminding me that you're taking physics- I'm pretty lost in that class, too, but I doubt I'll keep it in my schedule at all.
Kacey:
You're the best! I really really miss making oatmeal in Dailey's microwave in the morning- there is no oatmeal in this country, nor are any German teachers quite like Dailey.