Monday, August 01, 2005

I'm in Germany Now (In Case You Hadn't Noticed)

Well, I guess I've gotten here alright- the rest of the time in DC was pretty awesome. We had an alumni panel Saturday morning that answered a lot of questions and concerns and was very helpful. We left the hotel at 12 to go to the airport and spent HOURS waiting for them to check our bags. It was very boring and we all starved because we hadn't had lunch. Finally, they took our luggage and we got on a shuttle to go to our gate and I had some terrible pizza and hung out waiting for the plane (which started boarding at 4:30). Once on the plane, I discovered that I was sitting between two Germans, but we didn't talk much. Planes are boring and rather unexciting, especially night flights. I didn't sleep (okay, I squeezed in a few minutes around 2 German time, but it's too hard to sleep on a plane). We landed at 7 and the whole place was SO beautiful- from the air, Germany is a whole bunch of hills and the early morning fog settles around them and there are little villages dotting it and it's just amazing. Frankfurt's airport is far less interesting- there was English everywhere and it made me sad. The bus ride to Tuebingen was about 3 hours and it was really funny with 50 people and 100+ suitcases on one bus- we were close and crammed and it was wonderful. I talked to Allyson the whole way and felt like the 6 hours I had lost coming over had been spent sleeping. We got to Tuebingen a little before 12 and moved into the Hostel- I'm rooming with Mary, Emily, and Casey and we had to haul all our luggage upstairs, which was terrible and I'm very sore. We wandered a little before lunch, which was just open-faced sammiches, but they were SO good! The meat and cheese and bread here is amazing- I could eat it forever. We walked around the town a lot more after that- the hostel's right on the river Nekar, and it's about 100m from the main area of town and there was a festival going on and it's so beautiful- I'm trying to upload pictures.

Okay, it's dinner time, so I'll try to post more later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to talk to you today. I see you were able to update your blog - that should make a few people happy. Can't wait to see your pictures. Have fun!

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

enjoyed hearing about your flight
glad you got there safely are
looking forward to more news
about Germany Love, Mom mom and
Poppop.