Friday, August 12, 2005

Explanations and More

Remember that strange thing I told you I did Monday night?

Our
little trip to the boy's hall common room constituted visiting the
island of Albatros. In this civilization, soil is holy and revered.
Women, who are fertile like the soil, are likewise revered above men.
Women are the only ones allowed to sit on the ground, whereas men must
be above it in chairs. Men must wash before they eat, and only women
are allowed to prepare and serve food. The closest contact a man can
have with the earth is in a traditional ritual in which the woman bows
close to the earth and the man places his hand on her back. The people
of Albatross communicate using hums and hisses to get attention, and
then with telepathy.

There was severe culture shock throughout our group, and then great
understanding.

Be very slow to judge.

That'll be familiar to the mailing list- they got that message yesterday because I love them more. (You can join this group any time you want.)

Hmm. . . gondola ride yesterday was awesome and Dustin took piles of pictures and says he'll upload them eventually so I'll show you sometime.
Disko at SIT was kinda lame but Rose and Dustin and Allyson and Christine and India and desk boys Jakob and Alwin and I hung out and it was cool and we walked home really really slow and played on the merry-go-round (the same one Rose and I hung out on the day we were late to school) and talked and then we all sat and looked at the stars and there are so many visible here and it's so pretty and we all saw a shooting star, but none of us saw the same one, and then we went in and sat for a while and hung out until Christian made us go to bed (it was 12:30) and it was a pretty cool night, lame dance notwithstanding.

Today: Jenny was sick and didn't go to school, and it was of course the one day that we discussed something interesting (Nuremburg trials) and then we came back for lunch that was sort of okay fish and pretty awesome sauce and then Jenny and Jake and Lydia and I worked on our presentation on German media (nothing like throwing a project together at the last minute) and then sat through long presentations and then Emily and I led each other around Tuebingen blind and it was pretty cool.

I'm going to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory auf Deutsch tonight, and then the roomies are having a picnic for me because I'm leaving tomorrow. I don't know how long it'll be until I blog again (I am going camping for a week, after all), but I still love you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip to your host family (and as your dad would say - hold onto your purse!!)

Love You!