Friday, August 26, 2005

More German Fun

First week of school done. . . reading Baroque poetry in German is crazy hard. . . otherwise I'm managing quite well, although I still haven't had history. Next week is gonna be weird. . . 3 of my teachers are away for various reasons, and as Germany has yet to discover substitute teachers, I simply don't have to go to Art or German or Philosophy. . . this means that my schedule, which is already full of holes, is gonna be way empty. I guess I better learn to use the bus!

Fun Differences Between Germany and America:
In Germany, Hazelnuts = Peanuts. This means delicious.
German radio totally loves the 80s and I totally love German radio. They also play "Pave Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot" as if it's top 40 (there's another song that's a little silly for them to always be playing, but I don't remember which one)
Light switches are square. No one bothers to inform you of this difference before you come.
Toilet flushes are also square, and complex (you get to decide how long it flushes). Once again, this is kept as a special secret.
Supermarkets have a section devoted to salami the size of most American supermarkets' entire meat and cheese section. The whole meat and cheese counter takes up an entire wall.
Nutella for breakfast.
Breakfast in general.
Creamighurt.
Bakeries on every corner.
H&M on every corner that doesn't have a bakery (I could spend so much money at this store, and I think I will be buying myself birthday presents there).
Even the graffiti is pretty.
Free periods at school, and cancelled classes when the teacher isn't there.
Blinds are on the outside of the window. Complex but sleek German systems are used to raise and lower them.
School is discussion-based, which means I've gotta improve my German really fast.
I'm not certain I like them, but there are traffic circles at almost every intersection. There are also incredibly stupid and annoying random plots of dirt on the road meaning that people have to drive like they're going through an obstacle course and occasionally stop behind one of these plots of dirt and allow the oncoming traffic through. Bill might enjoy driving here, because the government apparently also doesn't understand driving on one side of the road and not the other.
That's all I can think of for now.

Picture situation: The only computer with internet at the moment is a laptop with one USB port that's rather important and being used. The other computer has more USBs but isn't quite jiving with the internet yet (it is new) and Hans-Josef will get it working sometime next week (He's currently on a bike tour with many of Uckendorf's men) and then I'll post. I promise.
Until then, you can enjoy some of Rose's pictures, starting with sexy tree.
Allyson should be a model, she is so pretty
We love sexy tree, we do.
Please wake up, Sleeping Beauty. Your prince is here!
Naked statues are sometimes astonishing.
Yes, we are awesome.
You don't want to know how much convincing it took to get Dustin to do this.
Immediately after this, Buster set off the alarm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a lot of new
things to learn but you have lots of time Remember Weight Watchers?
Bad place to diet. Grandparents

Kari said...

Is Big Yellow Taxi still Top 40,
'cause I swear I haven't heard it in America nearly as much as I do here. If I believe BRD 2's playlist, it's about the most popular song ever (also some song that features the line "who am I to break this young girl's heart" and that I don't at all recognize).

Pink tube: I think that's actually just the railing on the edge of the little wall thing at the art museum. I don't recall actually noticing it while I was in Stuttgart, though, so I could be wrong. Not a beer tube, though, I can assure you.

Today's fun Autobahn thought: Germans don't put the windows down when they put down the tops of their convertibles. It looks very very silly.