Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Tuebingen ist eine Universitaet

I can't believe I've only been here 4 days- it feels like a month. I'm really learning my way around- I love going to Osiander (the book store) and Mueller (the everything store) and we found an AWESOME store across from school this morning- we'll definitely be going there on our breaks often. School- that's the Sprach Institute Tuebingen, where I go with Rose, Dustin, Jenny, Scott and Kenzie for more advanced German classes, which is really sweet- there are 7 Greeks and 2 Columbians in our classes, which leads to really great discussions- today our topic was "Home, Folk, Nation," which you can imagine was fascinating in our international group. I don't really like that we have to walk 20 minutes to school while everyone else stays at the hostel, but at least we'll be in better shape and we have a better idea of what stuff's around town- not to mention finding that awesome store!
Other than that, I've been getting closer to people here- we started a knitting club because so many of us do and there's an awesome yarn store in the city. This place is so so beautiful- I don't have time to upload photos now, but I'm hoping to when I get settled at my host family. I wrote them a postcard yesterday, but haven't gotten myself to the post office yet- stamps are SO expensive here! It costs 1 euro to send a postcard to America, and 1.55 for a letter. Don't expect too much from me, guys! Chocolate bars, however, are CHEAP- I got a Caramac for 29 cents, and Milkas are 69- it's so awesome. It's hard to find bottled water here, though- it's all mineral water or it's bubbly, but I found some apple flavored that's pretty good.
I bought a copy of Wilde's Dorian Gray in German and it's really hard to read (I'm on page 10, and it starts on page 7), but I'm having fun with it. It's hard to speak German all the time with so many Americans around, but I'm reawakening the Deutsch- I speak it to shopkeepers and at school and the like, and it's getting less foreign.

Well, I'd better let someone else have a turn, so I'll end for now- bis spaeter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kari! We just got the internet and cable TV up and running again. Apparently a neighbor 2 doors down cut the cable when they moved out. Travis is happy again. I guess he must be missing you a little though because he wasn't able to bowl very well this morning. (Alex couldn't either so I guess they're both depressed over you leaving!!)It's hot here again - I guess you're having better weather. I'm glad to hear you're getting your exercise - I guess you can eat chocolate if you walk every day!! Be good! (Your mom has to say that!) Study hard! Have fun! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Kari,
Thanks for the updates. I remember ALL the walking I did when I was in Austria. Yes, the food is great! Stella is through his mourning phase and enjoying the beach. Take care.Kathy