Wednesday, August 31, 2005

German School Schedules Rock

By which I mean that I could really get used to not having school when my teachers aren't there- I got home at 11:30 today, and it only took so long because German buses are infrequent and slow. I don't have school at all tomorrow!

Went to Essen on Saturday (Essen is a place name that translates to "Eating." Crazy Germans!) for a Stoppelfeldfest- think giant field, hay bales, small children, and sausage. I very much enjoy Germany's frequent meat and beer festivals, because they are delicious. This one was pretty kid-focused, though, which means boring for older people, and I left Anna and Verena there Saturday night and came home to recover from a day of meeting more people than I will ever remember. Sunday was a nice slow relaxy kind of day, with Uckendorf's Kirmes that night- basically another meat and beer fest, but smaller (because Uckendorf is tiny). More delicious, but I didn't stay long because there weren't many people around, so it was slow, and I had school in the morning. Of course, school doesn't start for me until almost 10 on Mondays, so I slept in until 8 and had mild bus-related misadventures and went to social studíes and then some whole-class meeting about their futures and then back home. Tuesday I had history for the first time and then English and then I got to leave early and had more mild bus misadventures, but more related to infrequency than any fault of my own. Bored all afternoon (gotta find me a club or something) and then people came over in the evening and still can't get the internet working upstairs (so no pics yet) and sleep and then today: wake up, wash hair, breakfast, get in car, get out of car, get on bus, wait on bus, get off of bus, block of English, talk to people, wait an hour, get on a bus, get off a bus, wait 20 minutes, eat pastry, get on a bus, get off a bus, walk, try to call some places concerning things to do in afternoon, get on internet.

Germany's apparent favorite song of the week: "Heartbreaker" (I wanna say it's Dionne Warwick's, but I need to hear it again to be certain. . . I could be remembering entirely wrong and it might be the Bee Gees).

I got a cell phone. It has fishies on it.


Commentors: you will now be asked to verify that you are a human person before you post. As long as you can see and recognize letters of the Roman alphabet and find them on a keyboard, you shall pass this test. I am racist against robots because they wait menacingly outside my house for me to come home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, my schedule is horrid. i have 31 hours of class..... arg....
the teachers pity me.... you totally have germany pegged... at least on the supermarket things. thatis hilarious

Anonymous said...

I sure hope I can past the test that I'm human!!! School sure sounds rough in Germany - I bet you wish you were back here in the states at college!! How many pastries do you eat a day?? You may have to try walking instead of taking the bus to make up for all the pastries!! Enjoy your day off from school - maybe you can get all your homework done! Take care!

Kari said...

I don't actually eat pastries all that regularly. . . I think I've had 2 total since I've been here.

At the moment, I've got 26 hours in a week, and if I add French that'll be another 3 or 4, so you're not that much worse off than me, Mary. My schedule's actually distributing terribly- I have 1-9 periods on Tuesdays, but only 3-4 and 6 on Mondays! Wednesday might the the worst- 1-2 class, 3-4 free, 5-6 class, 7-9 free, 10-11 class. And, with the buses as they are, there's no way I can get home and back to school in my 2 free periods, so I'm stuck there being bored.