Tuesday, February 14, 2006

We Should Have Each Other With Cream

OK Go and the Cure are my two favorite bands. So, for your Valentine's Day Song of the Day, you get the love song where these two bands kiss, metaphorically speaking. Yes, music buffs, "The Lovecats." You'd better go buy it if you don't have it now. Whichever version, they are both DIVINE.

[WARNING: AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST, THERE ARE OLYMPIC SPOILERS. IF YOUR LESS AWESOME TIME ZONE MEANS YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MENS SPRINT BIATHLON, MENS SLALOM, WOMENS SPEED SKATING 100 M OR WOMENS LUGE, READ WITH CARE.]
So did I have a great day? Of course. I learned that the Romantics (who I hate) turned the Alps into an attractive tourist destination (the one time I was there, I had the worst vacation of my life. Correlation? Possibly.) Noiby brought cake because he loves us, and because it was his (I think?) first full day back at school after complex stomach-related surgery had him home since Christmas. I declared cake my Valentine, because it is very yummy. Sozi proved that Jakob has one of the keenest senses of irony I have found in Germany, and God said that it was Good.
Herr Lang: Unfortunately, this topic will not benefit from Jakob and Sebastian's uncalled-for side comments [discussing Friday's field trip, which both J and S missed].
Jakob: (without raising his hand) Hey now. . . Sebi's way worse than me! (pause, all laugh) Well, that was an exception.

Herr Lang: And the homework is. . . .
Jakob: Color the heading on the notes all pretty.


I came home to a full house (as opposed to yesterday), what with Philipp apparently on break and Anja over for laundry day, and Basti managing to be home and everything. We watched Sven Fischer win the Biathlon Sprint and celebrated, although I worried that Germany would catch up to the US's gold medals, making gloating harder. (more on that later) Also, my Mommy sent me a Valentine's day package with a pig that says "Hogs and Kisses" and a box of Tastykakes, which I immediately shared with all the host siblings, because I am so sweet like that. Of course, now I have no more, and that's somewhat sad. And, later, we watched the women's speed skating, and the Russian lady has the silliest outfit ever, but I guess it helped her win? The Germany chick was pretty bad, and I'm not sure there was an American? Also, yay for China, because I don't think they get many medals. And then we played cards this evening, because Anja is here, and we always play games when Anja is here, and I came out of the first round with -90 points, meaning a great handicap. I perservered, and managed to end up with More than Piff (my usual goal in games), who went into Round Two with 0, and thus less of a handicap than me. Anja was only third, which is highly unusual by our family games. The luge was going on during this, and Germany went away with all three medals, making me incredibly concerned for the US-Germany competition. As it happens, US and Germany both have 7 medals right now, counting the bronze US just won in the slalom, with 4 golds each. But BUT the US has 2 silvers and 1 bronze, and Germany has 1 silver and 2 bronzes. This means the US is just ever-so-slightly better. And since Germany has no chance at figure skating, I figure I can sleep okay tonight, confident that I get to gloat and Piff doesn't. Also, I am not watching figure skating. It is not a sport, okay guys? GET OVER IT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like hockey!