Saturday, February 04, 2006

As Promised

I have no interest in writing about my week right now, because I am lazy, but obligations.

So Tuesday, I overslept because I am talented. Missed German, got to school in the middle of my free period (second), and then went to math, where my notes say there was an entertaining comment about paint-by-numbers (in German, this name rhymes, making it 150% more awesome). History was fascinating on Tuesday, and I wanted to confuse you with historical propaganda, but my will is gone. Also, Herr Schäfer told us about how he and his college classmates cheated on their Middle High German (think Middle English, but harder) exams by sneaking the giant dictionary in under bulky sweaters, then asking to go to the bathroom and looking words up. I am not certain if teachers should be telling us these things! We also had a really, really amazing discussion about how and why Hitler actually got elected- it was wonderful, and I wish I could have transcribed it or something. I love my history class. That night, I went bowling with my Reli class! Bowling requires silly bowling names, and my favorite was Viktor's, "Vitjaaaaaa." Some random 13th grader was going by Goethe, and our teacher put himself in as Rothi (he is Herr Rothmann). It was a fun evening- Petzi (the only boy on our particular lane) was quite upset that Geli and Maria beat him in BOTH games, and Nadine did better than him the second time, too! I didn't bowl great, but I noticed that Germans hold the bowling ball in their first two fingers (Americans in the middle two). This is strange to me, but I guess they manage okay? I also reaized how awesome Germany is when I walked home by myself at 11 pm, and didn't feel at all weird about that, or unsafe or anything.
Wednesday meant I was super, super tired, and I had trouble staying awake in Reli (although the discussion was really interesting) or Bio. By history, I perked up a bit and pledged to actually try to read my texts (haven't done that yet). We got our Schulaufgabe back in Art, and I got a 12, which is a really good grade! I had the best grade on the practical part in the whole class, which made me really happy. I am drawing in my sketchbook again, and playing with color, and I will show you my pictures if you e-mail me! In the lunch break, I was amazed that Tassilo was sarcastic, and also that many Germans didn't get it. Sarcasm is rare here. (You see, Stiefi came in with two Döners and handed them to Tassilo to hold. Tassilo said "Mmm. I'm glad my two Döners are here." Someone else said "You're eating two?" Tassilo: "You bet. I am really hungry today." Someone: total belief. Tassilo: Explanation of Sarcasm.) Later, someone taped Tassilo's shoe because the sole was coming off? Mädi made a video on her camera phone, too, and couldn't get Nico to look at her, and told people to wave, and it was entertaining when it happened?
German had two very beautiful quotes (unrelated):
Student: Herr Friedl, do you actually care if students are here or not?
Friedl: There is nothing worse than a romantic essay. [Of course, we still have to read them. Yuck.]
THURSDAY
I caught that train that I have been having trouble catching for so long. I was proud of myself. I learned that Germany doesn't have seperation of church and state, and I got really terrified. I have since gotten used to it and discussed things with Kacey and I feel better, but it still worries me about their future as a multireligious society (ie, there are TONS of Muslim immigrants who are becoming an important but marginalized part of the population). I got annoyed in English at overanalyzation of individual sentences, but I'm over it. My free period had perhaps this week's best exchange. We were discussing Hitler (remember that this is basically the history LK here, plus a few physics people), and various reasons for him being crazy, one of them including potential homosexuality. Sometime later, the following thing went down:
One: You know Hitler had no citizenship at some point?
Two: What?
One: He gave up his Austrian citizenship, and for the two weeks or so until the German one kicked in, he was not a citizen of any country.
Two: And what does that prove?
Three: That he was gay.
One: Obviously.
Chuckles all around.
Later, somebody decided that the Chemistry LK people should build an atomic bomb for their Facharbeit (mini-thesis?) and the discussion of details was so full of geekery and was wonderful.
FRIDAY
Wait, I already covered this one. Oops.

TODAY
Got up early and went to church at 9 for a day-long First Aid Class. So now I can do CPR in German, I guess. It was kind of fun, actually, but also depressing when you think about all the ways people can be near to death and you might have to save them. Got home sometime around 3:30 (First Aid takes a while to learn), and decided I had the most distinct need for chocolate chip cookies. So I grabbed Piff and we made some, and they are delicious. Baking is fun. Baking is more fun when I can throw some ingredients into a bowl and hand it to Piff and say "Mix this" while he mumbles about America being in the stone age for using cups and not weighing the ingredients. He's right, I guess, because the metric system is way better. Cups aren't bad, though. Like I said, our cookies are great. We made them big- 38 when the chocolate chip bag says we should get 60. Has anyone ever actually made 60 cookies from that recipe?


GUYS, IT IS DADA MONTH, ONE OF THE 13 DAYS OF THE YEAR ON WHICH I MAY CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't expect birthday presents on all those 13 days!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

im confused. if i come visit you on one of these days, will i be forgiven?

Kari said...

Am I holding something against you?

OH WAIT

YES, MARY, I AM VERY ANGRY AT YOU. YOU MUST COME VISIT ME OR I WILL REMAIN UPSET.

Anonymous said...

no!!! no!!!