Saturday, July 02, 2005

One

I wasn't going to mention the ads, but the message in the one in my sidebar is too important not to translate for my non-German speaking readers.

Every 3 seconds
A child dies
From extreme poverty
We need your voice

Anyway, click on them for information in either language, or go here.

Bernard pretty much got it when he said "the worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity." I've been reading his writing on censorship and poverty and vice (specifically prostitution) and the entertainment industry, and, like always, it's totally amazing and really relevant today. If you want a gorgeous polemic about how those who are quickest to hide behind a moral argument are often the least moral, grab Mrs Warren's Profession and check out the preface- I promise there's some golden ideas hidden in the wordy wordy wordy Shavian prose.

229 years ago today, the Declaration of Independence was signed. I feel like this relates, somehow.

Gender: 60% male.

No comments: