Sunday, July 03, 2005

Gender Genie

I just discovered this fun site that will try to determine the gender of a person based only on his/her writing! I have decided to use this fancy machine to let you know what gender I am at the end of each post. Of course, the machine works best on entries of 500 words or more, but let's play with its head anyway.

I've found that my shorter posts tend to be rather male, but it evens out and figures out what's going on as soon as I get to a long enough entry. For example: this entry started out male, but became female when I made it longer!

Totals:
"Male" posts: 19
500+ words: 1 (with quotes from a male)
"Female" posts: 10
500+ words: 2

I seem overwhemingly male at first, but when we're fair, I'm pretty certainly female. I guess this thing works! There's a really really long paper (thesis) you can read on why this works, but if I (future linguistics major) don't want to dig through it, I doubt you do.

I will, however, provide a list of the male and female words, leaving them out of my calculations concerning this post.
Male: some, this, as, now, good, something, if, ever, is, the, well, in
Female: him, so, because, actually, everything, but, like, am, more, out, too, has, since

I use "this" an awful lot, likely contributing to my higher male score. I also use "but" a lot- apparently I am rather apologetic, which I guess is a female thing to be.

Gender: 52% female.

No comments: