Thursday, July 28, 2005

Just One More Before I Go

I'll be heading up to DC in about an hour, so consider this my final blog from home. I'm packed, the camera's charging, I have euros and dollars and a passport and and my whole life fits in 2 suitcases and a carry-on. It's a little surreal. I haven't dreamt much about this whole thing- there's been a dream or two, but it's been almost a month. I've been running things through my head since I got up this morning, but my subconcious doesn't seem to understand that this is it.

Some people have asked me what Beige Space means, and I've decided now would be as good a time as ever to elaborate. The name didn't mean so much when I first picked it- it had a nice sound and seemed to fit what I was trying to do here. Now I have a clearer idea of it. In art, white space is emptiness on the canvas, whether left intentionally for effect or unintentionally by a bad artist. So the first idea I came up with was filling the emptiness- my life as a canvas and this blog showing you how I fill it. But the space is beige, not white. White is pure and utterly lacking of color (in the world of paint, not light), but my life isn't. I bring things with me- prejudices and bias and personality and the like, so even my blank space is already colored, but only a little. It's more beige than white. Beige is also associated with the bland and boring, that which has no real character. That's a little bit how I see the world I'm operating in- lacking of character until I bring my stamp to it. This blog itself has a beige background filled with green dots- those dots are the experiences I write here, filling my life and making it into something more like art.

I want to thank all of you who have been part of those dots so far, and I promise to share all my future dots with you.

I don't know when I'll be blogging again, as I'm not sure what my internet access situation is for the near future. I'm keeping a paper journal, though, so I promise lots of detailed reports and pictures as soon as I can.

Gender: 54% male.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, This is Allyson's mom. I got the note from your mom to read your post. It was a kick just to see Allyson's name. I knew it must be her because I don't think there is another Allyson on the list. I hope you all have a wonderful time. Thanks for the post.
Mary Boyer