Thursday, June 02, 2005

One of these days, I'll marry him

Specific reasons why I love G. Bernard Shaw, in quote form:

"Nothing is ever done in this world until men are prepared to kill one another if it is not done."

"A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it: it would be hell on earth."

"Do not unto others as you would they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."

"Marriage is popular because it combines the maximum of temptation with the maximum of opportunity."

"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."

"Liberty means responsibility. That's why most men dread it."

"Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody can read."

"The things most people want to know about are usually none of their business."

"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death."

"Beauty is all very well at first sight, but who ever looks at it when it has been in the house three days?"

"Don't waste time collecting other people's autographs; rather devote it to making your own autograph worth collecting."

"The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

"A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of Hell."

And so I manage to distill my entire personal philosophy, arrived at after a (rather short) lifetime of reflection, to a collection of quotes from one person who lived a century before me and was infinetly wittier and more talented. He was also a devout communist and supporter of Stalin, but I don't hold it against him. Who hasn't been a communist at one point or another?


Also, I'd appreciate if someone were to reassure me that it's okay that the love of my life is a dead Irishman.

Gender: 59% male (to be fair, at least 59% of this is Bernard, so that's about right)

No comments: