Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sickness= More Blogging?

Probably.

I had the most amazing dream this afternoon while napping, one that I'm still convinced is true.
Every now and then I dream of flying. I wish it weren't so cliche, but there it is. And flying in my dreams is the most perfectly natural act. It's like swimming, really. You push off from the ground, start pulling yourself into the air with your arms. Once you get as high as you want, you can tread the air to stay there- just the lightest of movements keeps you afloat. Movement across the air is as simple as movement across a pool. In the air, everyone is graceful and life feels effortless.

I have these dreams very occasionally. Maybe 3 times in my life. But I remember them. Remember them well.

This one took place at Hampshire, in the springtime. Everything was green and the sun was warm. There had just been a great rain, and there was a giant puddle in a field behind EDH, much as there were giant puddles in my way the last time I walked over there (was it just last Friday?). I had left my bag in my class, started to leave with nothing, as I frequently do in dreams. I noticed, however, and returned to retrieve it. Whoever had closed the class had been kind enough to hang my bag on a hook outside the door, and I took it and exited again. Outside, I saw a group of friends, standing on the other side of the deep puddle-marsh. They waved to me, and I to them, and they beckoned me to join. I had no wish to tread across the deep water, however, and so I handed my bag to someone who was sitting nearby, and took flight. Taking to the sky was the sort of act that's remembered, a trick from earlier in life that makes things easier, but is somehow rarely used. Once I landed, those around me were summarily impressed- they had not ever seen anyone fly. I explained that it is not something everyone can do, but then someone in the group bounced into the air, and then another, and soon a good 3/4 of us were soaring and playing, amazed that Hampshire had managed to bring together exactly the sorts of people who were innately able to fly. I remembered my forgotten bag, flew back to retrieve it, and the dream ended.


When I awoke, I could barely breathe and I was racked with coughing. It was well below freezing outside, and had gotten dark.


I'm still pretty sure I can fly.

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

Oh that was a very nice post. :)

It was much nicer then the dreams I had last night which were nightmares, one had a suicide bomber who blew up an ATM I was at. The other was a quasi-Noah's Ark dream with a great flood, and my Dad as a school bus driver. (you happened to be in that dream by the way, you were in the bus too.)

I wish I had flying dreams, they seem so peaceful.

Kari said...

Well, I did have this other dream where you got me a sandwich (prescient of tonight? Probably.) except it was ham and cheese and only halfway through eating it did I notice that it was TOTALLY not kosher and then I felt really really bad. Like you have no idea how guilty.

Especially since it was like the most delicious sandwich ever.