Monday, January 15, 2007

Purging

Sometimes we hold on to things that we like long past their use to us, just because they make us smile. Today, looking in my sock drawer, I realized that I have a pair of socks that no longer have any heels. These socks are neon green, and each depicts a vampire playing the upright bass, and they have little non-slip music notes on the other side. They're thick, fuzzy on the inside, so warm, which is why they've been worn through- I wore them frequently last year on my long walks to school, their thickness keeping my toes from freezing as I trod through the snow. I've clung to them, certain that, even in their lack of a heel, they are still useful to me. They still make me smile. I feel Hallowe'enly festive when I put them on, although I usually forget to wear them on Hallowe'en.

But they're past their prime. Their time has come. I walked down the hall to the trash can, carefully spread them out from the tight ball I keep them in, and dropped them in, never to be seen again.

No comments: