Monday, January 15, 2007

My Rainbow World

I colored a map of the world today, color-coding it based on my feelings towards visiting various places. I'm not very discriminating when it comes to visiting things, really. I'm kind of restless, so, after coloring the few little green (places I've been) bits I could manage (and I'm selfish enough to divide my own country into states but nobody else's), I just kind of scribbled everything in with my yellow marker (places I'd like to visit). Except Brazil. I hate Brazil. And Uruguay is hardly worth my attention, so it's red too. (Everyone should go to Rio at some point, though, so I gave Rio a little purple dot) Then I felt kind of guilty at the monochromatism of the whole thing, so I decided that the very very northern regions of some areas could maybe be red too.

And then I looked at it for a while, and decided that another level of information was in order. Yellow means "it would be cool if I went here at some point," sure, but I decided to add a purple layer for "these are places I am honestly interested in visiting, rather than just having an insatiable need for Newness." And then I started adding stripes to places that are somewhere between yellow and purple, and stripes to places I have been but should go again (I need to make a serious trip to Italy and France because I have only spent a few days in each of these places and there's a whole lot more to see. Ditto to Austria, except I need to see the cities and not the mountains next time I'm there.)

A lot of the purple turned kinda brownish over yellow, so I enhanced it with Adobe Photoshop Image-Editing Software.

Yes, Japan is red too. I don't have anything against Japan, but I have a whole lot against silly Americans who are obsessed with Japan and silly Japanese people who are obsessed with America. So my refusal to visit is sort of a collective "screw you" to those people, as is my general ignoring of Japanese culture.

No comments: