Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Fresh Starts

This weekend, I was discussing the Foreign Service (which is starting to look like a pretty great career option) with some of the family, and my mom said "Won't moving around all the time get old?" And I considered how changing countries and losing everything that was familiar to me every 2-4 years could be bad, or tiring, or simply "get old." But, even though I've lived in the same house my whole life, I've had sort of like that total change before. I've switched schools- I didn't know a soul going into high school, and I quickly lost touch with almost everyone I knew back then. Now, after the reunion, I'm starting to see how much I've changed in small, important ways from middle school- the stuff that I liked about myself is the same, but I got rid of a lot of the stuff I didn't like, and I only really did that once I left everyone behind. There's bound to be a way to change and slough off the junk from one's personality without leaving everyone one ever knew, but I like the idea of a complete fresh start, of going where nobody knows you and you can be whoever and whatever you want to be. I think that's why I want to go farther away for college, and it's probably a big part of why Germany's so appealing- I get to spend a whole year an ocean away from everything I've ever known, and I can be anything for that year. I can forget the parts of me that I don't like, and build a new, better me in a new land. But after college, when do I get that chance? Once I have a steady job and a mortgage and an adult life, when do I get to go somewhere new and be somebody different? That's why I'm liking the Foreign Service so much. Never spending more than 4 years in one place, and doing something worthwhile in the meantime- not to mention that it pretty much lines up with my skill set.

Gender: 56% female

No comments: