Sunday, May 22, 2005

Because I Can't Stop Thinking About Him

George Bernard Shaw is possibly the only person (except maybe one Mr. Allison) who writes female characters that are equal to and even better than his male characters. You have to get beyond Pygmalion (Eliza's no better than any similar character)- I'm reading Androcles and the Lion (the 100-page "Jesus is a Communist" preface is to die for, and, yes, I'm using the creepy Jesus picture mentioned below as a bookmark- I'll scan it later), and, along with Misalliance, it gives me hope for my gender. Lavinia is every bit as perfect as Hypatia- fascinated by life, mischevious, charming, and equally frustrating and endearing. Shaw, my dearest Victorian lover, used the phrase "glorious young beast."

Why was I not born in the 1890s in Europe? I would have been a perfect young revolutionary, hanging out at Cafe Voltaire or joining the Fabian society or something equally disturbing and fun.

If you get a chance, hit up Gutenberg for some of Bernard's plays- they're incredibly funny and you don't have to read the wordy prefaces if you don't want (Gutenberg doesn't normally include them, which I consider a loss because I'm insane and like long British sentences).

Gender: 77% male

No comments: